Assisting income-qualified homeowners in funding storm-resistant roofs
Available Funds as of November 24, 2023: $1,084,546.69
Intermediary Submission Maximum: $250,000.00
FHLB Dallas provides grants through members to assist income-qualified homeowners in funding storm-resistant roofs designed to prevent damage from hurricanes, high winds, hailstorms, severe thunderstorms and tornados rated EF2 or lower.
FHLB Dallas’ FORTIFIED Fund grants are available until they are exhausted or December 31, 2023, whichever occurs first. The funds are committed on a first-come, first-served, homeowner-by-homeowner basis.
- An intermediary may not submit (via one or more members) more than $250,000 in total requests each year
- Eligible households may receive up to $15,000 for a roof replacement on an existing home through our FHLB Dallas FORTIFIED Roof grant or up to $7,500 toward a roof on a newly constructed home through the FHLB Dallas FORTIFIED Construction grant
- Grants are available within FHLB Dallas' District: Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico and Texas
For questions regarding the FORTIFIED Fund Grant Programs, please contact FHLB Dallas at 800.362.2944.
FORTIFIED - The national standard for resilient construction
FORTIFIED is a voluntary construction and re-roofing program developed by the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety, after decades of research, to reduce the damage caused by severe weather. To qualify for FORTIFIED Fund grants, homes must meet the FORTIFIED Roof™ standard and earn a FORTIFIED Roof designation. This requires verification that the installation and materials meet the standard and have been documented by a certified FORTIFIED evaluator. For further assistance about the FORTIFIED building process, please contact Smart Home America at 855.742.7233.
- The member may not request funds in an amount exceeding $15,000 per household for the replacement of an existing roof under the FHLB Dallas FORTIFIED Roof Grant or $7,500 per household for the upgrade to an FHLB Dallas FORTIFIED Construction Grant on a newly constructed home. In both cases, the funds will pay for the actual cost of the roof plus any allowable intermediary and evaluator fees within the program limits
- The roof must be completed in accordance with FHLB Dallas FORTIFIED Fund program requirements. For existing homes, the intermediary fee may not exceed 10 percent of the funds portion of the roof cost. If the intermediary is also the qualified evaluator, the combined fees cannot exceed $1,500. For new homes, an intermediary fee is not allowed; however, the evaluator fee is allowed
- The member must pass on the full amount of the funds as a subsidy for the benefit of the household for which the funds were approved, which must be documented in applicable documents related to the roof
- An executed FHLB Dallas FORTIFIED Fund estimate from a roofer
- An FHLB Dallas FORTIFIED Fund evaluation from a qualified evaluator. The evaluator will perform an initial review of the current condition of the home and provide documentation of the steps needed to complete the roof
- A home is ineligible if it is resting on an unreinforced foundation (stacked stone, block or piers) or lacks an adequate connection between the home and the foundation. For a complete list of eligibility requirements, please visit see the FORTIFIED technical documents
- For funds to be disbursed on replacement roofs, a FORTIFIED roof certification for the home will be required along with the final invoice of the FHLB Dallas FORTIFIED Fund roof
- An identified FORTIFIED roof evaluator along with the cost of their evaluation
- The roof replacement and certification must be completed within 90 days of committed funds. The roof construction and certification must be completed within 180 days of committed funds
- For funds to be disbursed on a new home, an FHLB Dallas FORTIFIED Fund certification for the home will be required along with an executed final closing disclosure noting the homebuyer and the home address for which the funds were committed
- Households may not receive any cash back
- FHLB Dallas’ FORTIFIED Fund grants may be used in conjunction with other FHLB Dallas programs as long as the costs are not paid by any other source and the use of funds do not overlap
FHLB Dallas commits and distributes funds for this program through its members on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are exhausted.
Once the application is reviewed and approved, an email will be sent to the member contact notifying them of the committed funds. The final documents will be required within 90 days for roof replacement or 180 days for roof construction. Once the documents are reviewed and approved, the funds will be disbursed to the member.